Welcome Attend Schedule Directions Call for 2015-16 Projects SUGAR
What is the SUGAR Network?
The SUGAR Network is a global innovation network of academic institutions collaborating with companies to solve challenging, real-world problems. Each academic year, students follow a practice-based learning methodology to uncover user insights, develop creative solutions, and practice a range of design innovation techniques. The final proof-of-concept prototypes integrate desirability, viability, and feasibility and are featured at the SUGAR Expo each June at Stanford University in Silicon Valley, USA.
Many of these international academic partners also collaborate on similar design projects in Stanford’s ME310 course, which will be showcased at the Stanford EXPErience event.
SUGAR Expo 2016
Our SUGAR Expo event precedes the Stanford Design EXPErience, which showcases additional student work from Stanford's Mechanical Engineering Design Group courses, notably ME310. This way, you may experience two days back-to-back of unparalleled access to innovative student work and ideas outside your usual sphere.
At the SUGAR Expo, you will experience 26 real innovation problems addressed collaboratively by 24 different universities. Student teams have been imagining and building innovative solutions to design challenges from these companies:
TRACK A: Automotive, manufacturing & retail industries
- Kongsberg Automotive: Supporting the transition to semi-autonomous driving
- Lapeyre: Reinventing the kitchen for elderly people
- Mabe (I): Clothes care in the year 2030
- Mabe (II): A vision for a movable modular kitchen
- Media-Saturn Holding: Shopping consumer electronics in the future
- Sonae—Berg Bicycles: A completely new offering for urban commuting with bicycles
- Sonae—Worten: Innovation for home appliance after-sales service
- Trinity Robotics: Designing interaction between robots and people
- Yanmar: Innovation for vineyards
- Zipor: Mass customization of shoes in the B2C market
TRACK B: Pharmaceutical, chemical, health/beauty, & consumer related industries
- BASF (I): Crop protection 2.0 - digital services for the farming process
- BASF (II): Health optimization through personalized nutrition
- Boehringer Ingelheim: Revolutionizing communication between doctors and pharma
- Employers Confederation of the Mexican Republic (COPARMEX): A shared bicycle service for Mexico City
- Expanscience: Enhancing magical moments in the baby care experience
- Merck: Innovating patient support services
- Nestlé: Redesigning the vending machine for a better coffee experience in offices
- Sanofi: Helping pharmaceutical sales to better use customer data
TRACK C: Financial services, telecommunications & media industries
- Allianz: Redesigning people management and its user experience
- Grupo SURA: Synergies for uncertainty elimination
- Haufe Lexware (I): Enabling resource sharing for small businesses
- Haufe Lexware (II): Improving the online visibility of small businesses
- Helvetia: A simple insurance solution for shared flats
- SwissCom (I): Inform, involve and engage employees through corporate TV
- SwissCom (II): New ways of leveraging backup power supply
- Union Investment: Activating people to engage in personal financial planning and investment
Everyone is welcome to attend the showcase, and it is free and open to the public. Space at the morning presentations is limited. Please register at http://sugarexpo2015.peatix.com.
Wednesday, June 01, 2016 from 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM (PST), Stanford University
9:00AM - 9:30AM - General Registration
Location: Huang Engineering Center, amphitheater outside (lower level steps), 475 Via Ortega, Stanford, CA (Google Maps pin)
9:30AM - 12:30PM - Morning Team Podium Presentations
Track A: Automotive, manufacturing & retail industries
Location: Y2E2 Building, room 299, 473 Via Ortega, Stanford, CA (Google Maps pin)
Track B: Pharmaceutical, chemical, health/beauty, & consumer related industries
Location: Y2E2 Building, room 300, 473 Via Ortega, Stanford, CA (Google Maps pin)
Track C: Financial services, telecommunications & media industries
Location: Spilker Building, room 232, Via Pueblo, Stanford, CA (Google Maps pin)
12:30PM - 2:00PM - Open Lunch
All public visitors and guests are invited to find lunch on their own at any of the campus eateries nearby (Google Maps pin).
2:00PM - 5:00PM - Afternoon Design Fair
Location: Huang Engineering Center, amphitheater outside (lower level steps) and surrounding areas, 473 Via Ortega, Stanford, CA (Google Maps pin).
Additional Help & Questions
Any questions may be directed to the SUGAR Expo planning team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope to see you there!